World CTX Award
The World CTX Award
The World CTX Award is conferred annually to an eminent personality who has contributed substantially to the understanding and development of Coal, Petcoke and Biomass Conversion.
The Advisory Board elected the 2014 World CTX Awardee in February, 2014. The presentation ceremony will take place on March 27, 2014 in Beijing.
The 2014 World CTX recipient is Dr. Wu Xiuzhang, Chairman of China Shenhua Coal to Liquid and Chemical Company Limited and Vice Chief Engineer of Shenhua Group Corporation Limited.
Dr. Wu has been working with Shenhua since 2002, after thirteen years with Sinopec. Within Shenhua, he successively worked as Assistant Manager of coal liquefaction development, Deputy General Manager responsible for technology of Coal to Liquid and Chemical Company Limited, Vice Chairman, Chairman and President of Beijing Research Institute, as well as Deputy Director (Legal Representative) of National Institute of Clean-and-Low-Carbon Energy, Vice Chief Engineer of the Shenhua Group.
Dr. Wu Xiuzhang
Under Wu’s impetus, the first of the world direct coal liquefaction and coal-to-olefin demonstration plants have both met design requirements and today realize good profits. Such successes happened under the leadership of Dr. Wu, who took in charge the technology development management including catalyst and equipment as well as production operation management. He also has in charge the first China demonstration project of CO2 capture and geological storage.
Dr. Wu graduated from the Chemistry Department of Shandong University in 1986 with a B.S. Degree and from Applied Chemistry Department of China University of Petroleum in 1989 with a Master of Engineering Degree; Wu continued his study and graduated from Chemical Engineering and Technology Department of China University of Petroleum, Beijing in 2010 with a Doctor of Engineering Degree.
Dr. Wu has publihed two books, respectively on CCS and CTL, and more than 60 academic papers. He has received highest level awards in China, including the China Patent Gold Award in 2012, the Special Award for Science and Technology Progress from China Petroleum and Chemical Industry Association in 2013 and the Achievement Award at the « Fifth Hou Debang Chemical Science & Technology Award Ceremony” in 2013.
– 2014: Dr. Wu Xiuzhang, Chairman of China Shenhua Coal to Liquid and Chemical Company Limited and Vice Chief Engineer of Shenhua Group Corporation Limited
– 2013: Mr. Max-Michael Weiss, Director Innovation, Clean Conversion of Air Liquide Global Engineering & Construction Solutions, Germany
– 2012: Dr. Shu Geping, Chief Engineer of China Shenhua Coal to Liquid & Chemical Ordos Coal Liquefaction Company, China
– 2011: Mr. Rudi Heydenrich, Executive Manager of Sasol Technology, South Africa.
– 2010: Mr. Zhang Jiming, Vice President of China Shenhua Coal To Liquid and Chemical, China.
– 2009: Dr. Theo Lee, Chief Technology Officer of Headwaters CTL, USA.
– 2008: Dr. Sadao Wasaka, Executive Director of the New Energy and Industry Technology Organization or NEDO, Japan.
Mr. Rudi Heydenrich (right)
Mr. Zhang Jiming
Dr. Theo Lee
Dr. Sadao Wasaka (left)